In this article, we will discuss “What is proofreading?” and “How to Proofread?”. Proofreading: Carefully examining the text for corrections, grammar, style and spelling errors. Proofreading is a serious work that requires a keen attention. Some tips to proofread correctly have been given below.
- Firstly, make sure to review your text as a whole. If there are still points that need improvement in your text, do not make corrections on the sentence or word level.
- After proofreading your text for the first time take a break (15 minutes, a day, a week) and then proofread your whole text once again. Staying away from your text for a while will help you see errors more easily.
- Before starting to look for errors, remove unnecessary words by scanning it. Proofreading requires forming sentences with clear and direct meanings.
- Know what you’re looking for. Create a list for yourself by researching the most common errors made during proofreading. After this stage, you can benefit from the opinions of experts on proofreading.
- Work on a printout rather than on a computer screen while proofreading. (But also note that some computer functions may help you find errors.)
- Check your text once more by reading it out loud. In this way, you can notice the problems that are overlooked when reading silently.
- Use a blank page to cover the rows below the row you’re reading. This technique allows you to prevent potential errors by avoiding distraction.
- Use the computer’s search function to find potential errors you’re likely to make.
- If you are inclined to make too many mistakes, check separately for each field that you are likely to make mistakes. Firstly, enumerate your potential errors according to their level of importance. Proofread your text by starting from the most important one to the least important one. With this technique, you can check the errors in a better quality. As you will eliminate another potential error each time you scan your text.
- Finally, terminate your proofreading process by spell-checking. In order to do so, you can control a computer’s spellchecker or you can read the words.
Proofreading is a demanding and serious job to do as mentioned above. For this reason, you can easily benefit from the professional proofreading service of Protranslate. You may get instant information on the proofreading prices for your document by uploading it to the home page of Protranslate.